A 26′ Vee bottom launch
Good speed and sea keeping ability with low impact & noise
Top Hat outboard engine version
TOP HAT traces her heritage to the vee bottom boats designed by William. Hand in the early 1900s. Her lines, construction and propulsion have be updated, but the essential virtues remain – seaworthy and seakindly performance, good speeds with modest horsepower, handsome looks and ease of construction.
Top Hat inboard diesel engine version
A 50 HP Honda outboard in a well gives very quiet operation, easy maintenance and good handling in reverse. Also shown is an alternative inboard engine version.
Plans are well detailed, and consist of 8 sheets: outboard profile, lines & offsets, inboard construction profile, constructions sections, building jig, two detail sheets, and inboard diesel construction.
A CD of photos in JPEG format taken during the construction of the prototype is available and will be a help to all builders.
LOA – 26′ 5″
BEAM – 7′ 3″
DRAFT, motor up – 15″
DISPLACEMENT, outboard version – 3200 lb
HULL TYPE – Vee bottom chine
CONSTRUCTION – Strip plank topsides, double plywood bottom over sawn frames.
ALTERNATIVE CONSTRUCTION – Cold molded.
SUITABLE FOR – Somewhat protected waters.
TRAILERABLE – Yes
PROPULSION – 50 HP Honda outboard or diesel inboard
SPEED – Up to 18 kt.
SKILL REQUIRED – Intermediate
LOFTING REQUIRED – Yes
ALSO AVAILABLE: Photo CD, $50.00
OTHER REFERENCES – Design review by Robert Stephens in WoodenBoat #168, p. 86.
PLANS SHEETS – 8
PLANS DETAIL – Above average
TO ORDER PLANS
- To order online using Paypal’s ordering system (which accepts Visa/MC/AmEx/Discover/eCheck/PayPal), please select one of the following buttons:
- You can see your Paypal Cart at any time by clicking the button below:
- You can also order plans by sending a check or money order to Hylan & Brown – Boatbuilders, 53 Benjamin River Dr., Brooklin, ME 04616
- Many questions are answered in Frequently Asked Questions. Please check there first.
- Contact us if you have any questions.
- Link to New Construction for this boat