Chesapeake Deadrise Boat
Here is another little skiff inspired by a Chesapeake Bay working craft. In order to combine chine construction with the kind of bow that can punch into (instead of being punched around by) the Bay’s notorious chop, builders there have long used cross planked “deadrise” construction in which the bottom planking twists markedly as it approaches the stem. While this method produces a fine and soft riding bow, it requires great skill as each bottom plank must have just the right amount of twist manually carved into it.
Plywood has a lot of advantages for small hull construction, but one disadvantage is that it cannot be made to form into this kind of bow, at least not in large pieces. This new design is drawn to use plywood – in large pieces where possible (roughly three quarters of the boats hull), and in small pieces where necessary to get the Chesapeake deadrise bow form. Construction has proven to be quick and easy.
This boat is designed to make good use of low horsepower – in fact, big motors are not recommended. Our boatyard 9.9 horsepower outboard gave 12 kts with four adults aboard. Twenty five horsepower should be viewed as the upper limit.
The plans consist of eight sheets: Lines, Outboard Profile, two interior layout options, Building Jig, and three sheets of full sized patterns. Also included is a Compact Disc with construction and finished photos of the prototype boat, and other various and possibly helpful information.
An alternate layout is also included in the plans package:
LOA – 18′ 3”
LWL – 17′ 4”BEAM – 5′ 5”
DRAFT – 6” motor up
Weight – Approximately 350 lb. less motor
HULL TYPE – Chesapeake deadrise skiff
CONSTRUCTION – Plywood
SUITABLE FOR – Somewhat protected waters
TRAILERABLE – Yes
PROPULSION – outboard motor, 10 to 25 hp.
SPEED – Up to 12 to 20 knots, depending on motor.
SKILL REQUIRED – Beginner
LOFTING REQUIRED – No, full size patterns included
Click here to download free study plans in PDF format (link opens in new webpage).
- Click here to see more about the Point Comfort 18 kit in PDF format.
- To order a kit, see information from Hewes & Co.
- You can also see our Kits page.
PLANS SHEETS – 8 sheets plus Compact Disc with photos and other info.
PLANS PACKAGE DETAIL – Above average
PLANS COST – Includes building rights for one boat – $175.00 plus S&H
TO ORDER PLANS:
- To order online using Paypal’s ordering system (which accepts Visa/MC/AmEx/Discover/eCheck/PayPal), please select one of the following buttons:
- You can see your Paypal Cart at any time by clicking the button below:
- You can also order plans by sending a check or money order to Hylan & Brown – Boatbuilders, 53 Benjamin River Dr, Brooklin, ME 04616
- Many questions are answered in Frequently Asked Questions. Please check there first.
- Contact us if you have any questions.