Inspired by the reconstruction of a 1950’s boat.
DIANA was built by Alvin Beal in the early 1950s on Beals Island, Maine. She incorporates the handsome low sheer and skeg construction that were a hallmark of that area.
In 2002, a new owner asked Hylan & Brown – Boatbuilders to rebuilt DIANA for use as a picnic boat for his Downeast summer home. The boats lines were lifted and her original construction documented. A new house and shelter were designed and the original propulsion system was re-configured.
These plans will be of interest to students of Maine lobster boat design, as well as potential builders. Most early lobster boats were built from builders models, and little documentation exists. Plans consist of four sheets: lines & offsets, outboard profile, inboard profile and construction sections.
LOA – 28′ 8″
LWL – 27′ 6″
BEAM – 8′ 1″
DRAFT – 2′ 3″
DISPLACEMENT – 6500 lb.
HULL TYPE – Downeast skeg type lobster boat.
CONSTRUCTION – Carvel planking over steam bent frames
SUITABLE FOR – Somewhat protected waters.
TRAILERABLE – With difficulty
PROPULSION – 125 hp diesel inboard
SPEED – Up to 18 kt.
SKILL REQUIRED – Advanced
LOFTING REQUIRED – Yes
PLANS SHEETS – 4
PLANS DETAIL – Average
PLANS COST – $120.00 plus S&H
TO ORDER PLANS:
- To order online using Paypal’s ordering system (which accepts Visa/MC/AmEx/Discover/eCheck/PayPal), please select one of the following buttons:
- You can see your Paypal Cart at any time by clicking the button below:
- You can also order plans by sending a check or money order to Hylan & Brown – Boatbuilders, 53 Benjamin River Dr, Brooklin, ME 04616
- Many questions are answered in Frequently Asked Questions. Please check there first.
- Contact us if you have any questions.